About Me

My photo
Hello loves, My name is Whitney, i'm NOT a girl...not *yet a woman;;i'm in that be[in]tweenst area :).Currently a Junior in college on my journey to become a Nurse Anesthetist. I'm already pretty accomplished academically (received my first degree in the Spring of 2010) but now I'm ready to dabble in some other things which is why I decided to start a blog. I just want to talk about things that are on my mind, get ideas and thoughts from others, and just interact and meet people on a broader scale. I love interaction and a good debate every now and then so don't be shy. I love comments, questions and opinions (for the most part). Makeup has become more than a hobby, it's become one of my passions. I can't get enough of the stuff! I just love having the ability to change my appearance, attitude, personality with the stroke of an eyeshadow brush (:. WELCOME

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Light Skinned vs. Dark Skinned [WHO REALLY GIVES A FxCK]

"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice." 

John Calvin 



To say that I'm shocked that being light skinned or dark skinned STILL matters in 2011 would be a lie. But nevertheless it still puzzles me that I find so many narrow minded people, mainly African Americans, who take pride in being lighter skinned & hold themselves on a pedestal as "prettier" than a darker skinned person. Let's be clear, having a lighter complexion doesn't automatically give you ownership to the title of being "pretty,cute, gorgeous" and neither does being darker skinned.


Beauty is truly an inner characteristic that reflects outward, not visa versa. When I hear black men who are no bright light themselves make remarks like "dang red you fine" or "hey sexy red" it makes me vomit a little. Not because as a darker skinned woman I find myself "inferior" in their eyes, but I've found that when people are so based on skin complexion...that's their own inner demons rearing their ugly heads.



Really though, who can blame them. Since the test of time, we as Black Americans, have been told that we aren't good enough.  The saying "If it ain't white, it ain't right" comes to mind & so does the old brown paper bag test. You know, where if you were darker than a plain old brown paper bag (basically the old school lunch bag) you weren't good enough to be included in certain groups, places, activities,etc. African Americans are brained washed into believing the the lighter and brighter the better. 


We have truly lost ourselves in this world, not as a whole but a good majority. Why are we so stuck on who's lighter or darker instead of focusing on some issues that might actually propel us into excellence instead of holding us down into damnation? Quit worrying about having "good hair" & focus on why African American woman are the #1 leading new cases of HIV/AIDS. You feel me? If not...it's ok hopefully we'll get there one day!



Let's be honest with ourselves here, if (as a black man or black woman) a white person, or non-African American, came up to you and called you out you name...there would be no discussion, arguments or justifications RIGHT? Then why would you demean your sister, mother, or grandmother by saying "BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMAN, BUT I BET THAT BITCH LOOK BETTER RED." How can you compliment then demean in the same sentence, don't worry I'll wait for the answer....which is NEVER, you can't, SO DON'T! Love me for no & not my skin complexion #imjustsayingthough .

No comments:

Post a Comment